Sunday 15 May 2011

Another TWO alternative ties on eBay

If you missed out on the recent eBay auctions of two St George ties, an Armani and a Thomas Nash – then it’s worth noting that keeping an eye on the new listings can turn up some pretty good near-best alternatives.

Personally I found a Paul Smith (see left) tie that was a dead ringer for Tie Eleven in my Tie Index (see right).

Well, one of my readers had some similar success with another from Ten’s wardrobe.
He spotted this tie on eBay.
Aquascutum

Luckily the seller had a couple on offer, so I was able to bag one for myself.

It’s not perfect, but it is a pretty good stand-in for the tie worn in The Doctor’s Daughter, Tie Twelve in my Tie Index.

Okay! So the tie is only worn in that one episode and for most of it the lighting is so dark you can hardly see it – but it is a nice tie to go with either suit (though it belongs with a blue Tennant Suit rather than the brown as I have shown).


Daniel Hechter

Another tie I found on eBay recently is a dead ringer for Tie Eight, one of the most sought after ties the Tenth Doctor ever wore.

Ironically it is by Daniel Hechter, the maker of Tie Two in my Tie Index.

The pattern is quite regular, but once tied into a traditional knot with the light catching it, it doesn’t look too bad.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I thought the colouring on the tie from "The Doctor's Daughter" was more of burgundy and navy blue stripes.
    I only think that because the colour scheme for the Blue suit was blue and reds and the brown suit used chocolate browns and blues.

    http://deaddoll00.deviantart.com/art/Doctor-Who-The-Suit-149841070?moodonly=24

    ReplyDelete